Thursday, April 26, 2012

The Shapeshifter's Secret
Author: Heather Ostler
Release Date: June 12, 2012

Like any sixteen-year-old, Julia's used to dealing with problems. From her overprotective father to her absent mother to a teacher who definitely has it in for her. But everything changes when Julia's reactions become oddly vicious and angry?more animal than human. This action-packed adventure has it all: humor, romance, and a plot that'll keep you guessing to the very last page.

     Normally, I wouldn't start this way, but I am so distraught I must share. The love triangle in this book is RIDICULOUS and I am totally team Caleb. Terrence seems nice and all, but for some reason, he just doesn't do it for me. AND OMG the cliffhanger in Julia's romantic life.... NOT COOL.
 
     Overall, I loved this book. It was a little slow going at first, and the set up for everything almost drove me crazy. About thirty pages of is going on will drive anyone insane! The adventure that follows is definitely worth the wait though. Our heroine's name is Julia Levesque and she has spent the first 16 years of her life raised by a super-strict, overbearing type father. Like any teenage girl would, she feels stifled. WHY won't her dad get off her back about that troll of a teacher who is out to get her? And why won't he EVER tell her about her mother? They were together too young, and....? 
 
     Sadly, Julia loses her temper at school one day and learns that there is so much more to the world, and herself, than she ever even dared dream up. Now, she is off to her home country, where she is "royalty" and may even get to uncover a little family history in the process. Surpringly, there are some familiar faces in the old country, and a few new ones, both friend and enemy alike. Julia learns quickly that not everyone is who they seem in Ossai. Can she figure out who to trust before it's too late? I don't want to say too much more because then I'll start giving away details.
 
      I give this book four stars, I was sucked right in, and it was over too quickly. Page after page just flew by and I CAN'T WAIT to see what comes out next. If Julia's summer is anything like her school year, we are in for a real treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment