Monday, February 13, 2012

 

Halflings
Author: Heather Burch
Category: Teen
Release Date: 2/1/2012
Rating: 

After being inexplicably targeted by an evil intent on harming her at any cost, 17-year-old Nikki finds herself under the watchful guardianship of three mysterious young men who call themselves halflings. Sworn to defend her, misfits Mace, Raven, and Vine battle to keep Nikki safe while hiding their deepest secret---and the wings that come with.

         This book starts off with a bang. I have to admit, I was a little skeptical before reading this book. I love fallen angel stories, but given their recent popularity, so many of them seem to have lost that passion and mystery that the fallen seem to entail. We quickly learn about Nikki and the three young "halflings" who were sent to protect her.
         My personal favorite of the halflings is Raven, he has so much going on, but is slowly losing his faith. The story says that with every mission, his eyes get darker. He is slowly giving in to the enemy, but you can feel him struggling to stay on the side of the Throne. In fact. as he gets closer to Nikki, his eyes begin to lighten. Maybe he can save himself by saving another.
         Mace is a good guy, he fights hard for what's right and always remembers that he is meant for a higher purpose. He puts his calling before his personal wants and desires, which makes him such a strong character.
         Vine is the baby in the bunch, his innocence allows him to view the world through fresh eyes. He loves his "brothers" and there is nothing he wouldn't do for them, which includes saving them from themselves, when necessary.
           Nikki, what can I say about Nikki. She is one of my favorite literary females. So many authors write young ladies (especially teenagers) as though they need someone to protect them. They have no real ambitions or minds of their own. They need the story's hero to rush in at just the right moment to rescue them. Not Nikki, she is a black belt and an artist. She is strong, but not pushy. Sure she needs help, but that doesn't mean she will stop trying to help herself. Nikki faces some real challenges in this book. She learns about a new world, suffers some serious losses, faces horrors we can only dream of, but she never runs. Nikki is a fighter, and we see that fighting spirit in her all the way to the end.
         I cannot wait for the next book in this series to come out! Luckily, we only have to wait until September. For those of you who enjoyed The Mortal Instruments Series or Fallen by Tom Sniegoski, this book is definitely for you. Also, if you are waiting for Goddess Interrupted, Torn, or Underworld to come out. This book will definitely ease the ache I know you are feeling in your hearts. Thank you Heather Burch for bringing such a wonderful story into the world for us to enjoy. :)

6 comments:

  1. I really need to get to this one! Hopefully, I'll get to it this month :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You truly do. Let me know how you like it. I finished Torn, and OH MY GOODNESS!!! Review to be posted shortly. :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for the amazing review! Can i share a secret? Your review gave me an idea for the title of book three! Seriously! I'm contacting my editor tomorrow to pitch the idea. Have any guess what it is? I'll give you a hint. Halflings describes the boys. Guardian describes everyone who is a "guardian" to Nikki. And the title of book three will describe Nikki herself. I will let you know what happens. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fighter? I'll have to think about it a little more, and have a stab at it again later. I am so glad you enjoyed my review. I actually teared up a little bit reading your comment. Definitely let me know how it goes, I look forward to hearing from you in the future. :)

      Delete
  3. You too! And thanks for joining the network!!! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Angela,

    Thanks for posting a review for Halflings!

    I wanted to invite you to The Halflings Network: a place where fans can talk about the book, chat with author Heather Burch, enter giveaways, and get updates on the next book in the series. We also have a free illustrated eBook prequel that I think you'd really enjoy. Feel free to check it out at Halflings.ning.com.

    Thanks again for your great review, we really appreciate it!

    Grant
    Zondervan

    ReplyDelete