Wednesday, July 16, 2014

The Adventures of Japangela- Volume 1: The Medical Check

     This year has been wonderful, there have been so many surprise twists and turns that I just have to sit back in awe sometimes. My moving to Japan is one of those wonderful surprises.

      In September, I switched careers, moved to Detroit, and became a Transmission Controls Engineer for a Japanese company. I primarily work as a program manager for CVT programs. Around January, the company decided to send me to Japan on a 1 year long training trip. How awesome is that??? Not only do I get to visit Japan, but I get to LIVE her for a full year! Of course, I slapped on my poker face and very calmly agreed that if this is what the company feels is best, I am willing to leave everything I know, and move overseas for 365 days. Once I got home though, I called everyone I had ever met to squeal like a little girl. My friend Sarah started calling me Japangela and a few people suggested that I start blogging about my experience.

      So far, Japan is a wonderful country to live in. The people are very nice and incredibly patient with the fact that I speak very little Japanese. But, I am completely American, so sometimes, I run into situations that are a little, funny and/or awkward, which brings me to the story of my medical check.....

       Every fiscal year, the Japan office of my company has a medical check. I expected this to be a lot like those sports physicals we had to take in school. (Hi, how are you feeling? Turn your head and cough. That sort of thing) I was in for a big surprise! My medical check consisted of 8 parts:
  1.  Hearing Test
  2. Waist Measure
  3. Electrocardiogram
  4. Eye Test
  5. Blood Pressure
  6. Blood Test
  7. Health Interview
  8. Chest X-Ray
      Everything started off fine, I had a very nice lady from my office walking around with me to translate any instructions or feedback I was given, I wasn't deaf or blind. Life was good. Then, I walk in for the electrocardiogram. #1, no one told me what I was walking behind the screen for. All I knew was I walked into an enclosed area, a short tempered old lady barked some orders in Japanese,  (apparently, unhook your bra and lay on the table) and my very kind translator lady ran away! I was all alone when the dragon lady come over, jerks my chest from the loosened holding place and starts yelling at me! Like, what can I do woman? At this point all I can do is yell, " I don't know what's going on, but I don't like it!" At which point, my translator lady sticks her head around the curtain to tell me, "she wants you to stop chewing your gum now". *chew chew chew, FREEZE* Oh.... Next, was my blood pressure test, that sucker was high!!! We had a good laugh about it later, but wow. For the rest of the trip, I was begging my co-worker not to leave me again. Apparently, she was trying to preserve my modesty by leaving, as was the dragon lady, by placing a washcloth over my bosom for the electrocardiogram.... The fact that prior to applying said washcloth, the dragon lady manhandled said bosom, was never mentioned though. :/

    So, lesson for today, be prepared for a little rough handling if you ever find yourself entered into a Japanese Company Medical check. Good Night!

1 comment:

  1. Yay japanese groping! Glad you started blogging it up.

    ReplyDelete