Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Lies Beneath

Author: Anne Greenwood Brown
Release Date: 12 June 2012

Calder White lives in the cold, clear waters of Lake Superior, the only brother in a family of murderous mermaids. To survive, Calder and his sisters prey on humans, killing them to absorb their energy. But this summer the underwater clan targets Jason Hancock out of pure revenge. They blame Hancock for their mother's death and have been waiting a long time for him to return to his family's homestead on the lake. Hancock has a fear of water, so to lure him in, Calder sets out to seduce Hancock's daughter, Lily. Easy enough—especially as Calder has lots of practice using his irresistable good looks and charm on ususpecting girls. Only this time Calder screws everything up: he falls for Lily—just as Lily starts to suspect that there's more to the monsters-in-the-lake legends than she ever imagined. And just as his sisters are losing patience with him.

    Honestly, I am not sure how I felt about this book. The story had potential, but Calder honestly creeped me out. It definitely did depict how a merperson could be out of touch with human emotions and social norms, but as a main character, I didn't love him.
 
    I did enjoy that the story was different. In a sea of sugary sweet were-fallen-vampire stories, Lies Beneath is a much needed Oasis. A story about the horrors of the deep instead of the great beyond. These monsters don't just bump in the night, they lay in wait for you everytime you plunge into the murky depths.
 
   While reading, I felt Calder's emotions. I felt out of touch, isolated, strange, obsessed. Oh, the obsession was unreal. She also kept me guessing until the very end. I thought I saw where the story was going, and I did predict some things, but there was enough mystery to keep the story alive for me.
 
    I wouldn't recommend this story as a beach read, you'd never get in the water. And flirting with that REALLY cute guy? Forget about it, Calder will ensure you NEVER judge a book by it's cover again (figuratively speaking anyway....)  But with summer coming up, this book is perfect to curl up with on those rainy days, or next to the pool (a nice, controlled aquatic environment). Good luck, dear reader, and post your thoughts on the story! Just because a story doesn't knock my socks off, doesn't mean it won't do it for you! :D Happy reading!

1 comment:

  1. I would really love to get my hands on this book, plus its one of those rainy summer days u described ;)

    ReplyDelete